- Sustainable water management initiatives including Water Demand Management, Rainwater Harvesting, Water supply and Sanitation Infrastructure improvement, water literacy activities and volunteering activities with WIPRO Employees.
- Rejuvenation of community open wells
Wednesday, October 11, 2023
The Biome Environmental Trust team conducted an awareness session on water conservation for the Sama Foundation at Devara Jeevanahalli, popularly known as DJ Halli, Bengaluru. This was the first interaction between the Biome team members and the Sama Foundation members.
Date and Time - 6th October 2023, 11 AM to 2 PM
Venue - Sama Foundation, Youth Center, DJ Halli, Bengaluru
About Sama Foundation:
- Education: Sama Foundation has worked towards reducing the dropout rate of children in pre-primary school. They have introduced post-learning initiatives like tuition. They have brought up the idea of pair learning among the students to build self-confidence and self-awareness. For youth of the age group 18-30 years, they offer a 3-month skill development course, that includes communication skills, digital literacy, guidance for career growth & development, spoken English etc
- Health: They conduct health camps from time to time. They coordinate with government hospitals and spread awareness regarding chronic diseases, Government insurance policies (like Ayushman Bharat), etc.
- Social benefits: They work towards the holistic development of the community. Given the plethora of government schemes available for marginalized communities, they create awareness regarding financial literacy, pensions etc. They aim to empower women and children by connecting them with government schemes and benefits.
- They have conducted surveys on 10,000 households in the locality. They conduct meetings regularly involving at least 300 households.
Biome’s interaction with the Foundation:
- The community faces an ongoing water crisis, with many places getting water once every 5 days. As a result, people need to buy RO water for their water requirements.
- The area faces flooding during the rainy season due to improper solid waste management and the terrain.
- The quality of the water from the Municipal connection is not up to the mark.
- The sewage and water pipelines need to be mapped and monitored.
Agenda proposed by Biome:
- Understand the Water demand of the community and revive the wells accordingly: The entire area can be segmented into small settlements, and the water demand of each settlement should be calculated. Accordingly, the wells nearby can be prioritized for revival. A questionnaire can be prepared and distributed to households to understand their water needs.
- Water quality study: The quality of water needs to be monitored regularly for tap water and well water. A module educating them regarding the salts dissolved in water, the pathogens present, the contaminants, and the harmful effects can be compiled and distributed to the people.
- Rainwater harvesting in Government schools: Identify a school in the locality for rainwater harvesting and groundwater recharge. This will act as a model of best practices of water management for the entire community.
- Local Involvement: Identify the plumbers and masons in the locality and involve them in implementing the work. This helps in social inclusion and skill development of the community youth.
Blog written by Apeksha Deshpande